The group will explore Mobile Bay and/or the Gulf of Mexico aboard our Research Vessel Alabama Discovery. The students will learn about the biology, ecology, and diversity of this incredible ecosystem by trawling to collect and identify animals that inhabit Alabama’s coastal waters. Students will also have the opportunity to use scientific equipment to observe plankton and to measure various physical parameters of the water while at sea.
Duration: approximately 3.5 hours
Recommended: 5th grade to adult
What to expect:
- Students should be prepared to get wet and fishy.
- Students should be prepared to be at sea and take appropriate measures.
What to wear and bring:
- Tennis shoes (close-toed, no Crocs or sandals allowed on the boat)
- Sun protection - sunscreen, hats, etc.
- Water bottle (especially important for warm weather trips)
- Towel (optional)
- Camera (optional)
- No MP3 players or headphones allowed on the boat
Key Words to Review with Your Students:
Alabama Course of Study Standards and Ocean Literacy Principles
To book your field trip, email email@example.com or call (251) 861-2141 x7511.